View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

((((((RLW)))))),

Welcome

In my experience, (I've been diagnosed with depression and borderline personality disorder), it's not really anyone's business what your *labels* are.

Labels can be right, labels can be partially right, and labels can be wrong.

The way that I look at it, there's not really any point in sharing info that may or may not be accurate. Sharing in this particular case is not really going to DO anything for you.

The borderline personality disorder is the diagnosis from heck. No one wants to be in the same room with you -- especially psychiatrists. We scare them

I think it's OK to talk about these sorts of things with your family. After all, they might be able to help or they might also share in the same or similar diagnoses. Of course, any medical people that you're seeing should know. Although, you don't really need to tell your dentist unless you're actually receiving medication for some of these labels.

I remember the first time that I went into the "cracker factory", my husband at the time shared with my employer the fact that I had attempted suicide because my job was too hard Wrong!! Wrong!! I attempted suicide because I was in severe pain from a back injury and I was trying to deal with my younger brother's suicide. Old hubby didn't really do me any favors. I kept getting the old "are you OK?? are you OK??" Yeah, I will be as soon as you stop asking me that

If you've been hospitalized or missing from work for awhile because of any of this, you can just say "I had some medical problems that needed addressing".

Of course, I'm no *EXPERT* in any of this. I've just lived it ... so I'm an expert in *ME* What works for me may or may not work for you. I just know that there is still a lot of stigma attached to mental illnesses. In my opinion, you don't really need the judgements on top of everything else.

I believe in educating people about these conditions. I also try to share and help whenever I can. When you get your balance back, you'll develop sort of an instinct or a gut feeling that there might be some value in sharing with certain people. That's a talent; it'll come as part of the whole process that you've just started.

Hugs. Good luck.

Barb

Last edited by moose53; 03-31-2007 at 09:47 AM.
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote