Thread: Vision issues?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It sounds like you had a medical eye exam. Mine also was completely normal.

A Vision Efficiency Evaluation is different. The doctor will check depth perception, how well you can combine and hold two images as one, how well your eyes track a moving object, etc.

A simple check you can do at home is have someone wave their finger randomly in front of your face. You follow it with your eyes without moving your head. If your tracking looks "jagged," then that could indicate the presence of a vision efficiency problem.

My doctor did think that my issues may not have been directly caused by the injury -- that they might have been a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by the brain injury. In other words, my brain had learned to compensate before the injury but was too overloaded afterwards to keep up.

Look for a referral on braininjuries.org to find an optometrist who does this type of testing.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote