Thread: Who knew?!?!
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked Who knew?!?!

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately (I have been lurking), but this "lovely" disease has thrown me another curve ball. I don't remember anyone talking about this particular thing before, but if anyone has any info to share, I'm listening!

Remember a few monthis ago the doctor thought I had cellulitis.....well....it wasn't. Instead it's "weeping edema". My legs and tops of my feet are constantly swollen. The lymph that separates from the blood doesn't go back up my legs due to lack of motion because this lousy disease has taken away any ability for them to move. The capillaries become full -- leaks into the skin -- then attempts to escape by causing the skin to break open and the mess proceeds to run down my leg and foot. Yuck!

Some places appear as blisters and others like golf ball size lumps that gradually break open looking like an alien is trying to escape. It feels really squishy when touched. So now I have to wear "Unna Boots" wrapped with Ace bandages all the time. The home nurses from the local hospital come once a week to change them. Tried leaving them off for two days and my legs were more swollen than ever with over a dozen open sores. Of course my legs hurt, feel heavier than ever and my footwear selection is limited to two pair of scuff slippers. My Crocs are even too small. It's also good to keep my legs elevated as often as possible.

Guess this is another way MS has taken my life away. Yeah, I know, trust the Lord, one day at a time, be thankful for small blessings...........but....sometimes it sure is hard to find any quality of life and a reason to wake up each day.

Has anyone who "sits" all the time had any similar problems? Take care....

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (01-31-2012)