View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newbie w/ PCS issues--look, it's a book-length intro to me!

I'm newly registered, but have been lurking for a week or so. You all pretty much rock, with your supportiveness & collective wisdom and all. So, I could use some!

I'm 43 years old, female, and suffered from depression (treated w/ Lexapro, which works great for me) before my concussion.

On Jan 3, 2012, I had (what I thought was) a minor bump to my noggin. I was getting in my car, bent down to pick something up, and hit my head on the edge of the car door. I saw stars, it hurt, but I soon felt okay, and drove on to work.

Within the hour, I knew something was wrong, called my doctor, and they said to hightail it to the ER. I thought I was really okay, so went out to drive myself (d'uh). On the way out the door, I realized I was seeing double (triple?) and VERY dizzy. Called my husband, and he came to get me.

Within 1/2 an hour of being admitted to the ER, I was being wheeled down to get my head CT scan, when the nurse said, "What is this?" and plucked a piece of red paint from my hair. Yes, I had hit the car door so hard, I chipped the paint. But no open wound, no major swelling.

CT was fine, no bleeders or internal swelling. Exam revealed wackadoo pupils (still seeing double) and I was very nauseated. Doc sent me home w/ the instructions to rest up, take Tylenol as needed, and a prescription for anti-nausea if I needed it.

Two days later, I returned to work, still had a headache & a little dizzyness. Turned on my computer, and I just about threw up it made me so dizzy. Found I could read on screen for about 5 mins at a time. Followed up w/ my doc, he hadn't received the scans from the ER yet, but said they should be there soon. Said to work only as long as I felt up to it. So, I went home.

I tood it easy for about a week, still working but slowly; started feeling good, then returned to normal activity. Big mistake. By the beginning of my third week post-concussion, I felt just as horrible as I did at the beginning, but in different ways.

For me, the headache is my least bothersome symptom. I am a migraine sufferer, and my current headache is a constant dull ache, but not bad. It is treatable w/ over-the-counter meds, ibuprofen being the most effective. My worst symptoms are irratibility, brain fog, and a feeling of being observational in my life, rather than participating in it. And, already a depression sufferer, my depression has worsened & anxiety is a new twist.

My doctor is very good. Assures me I need rest and time. Assures me this is all real, and offered to counsel my husband to that end. (Husband himself is very supportive.) I have been prescribed 10mg Elavil to take at night, and am hopeful this will work with my current meds to ease the anxiety & accelerated depression. Dr following-up regularly with me.

I know I am early into this condition, and have no reason to doubt my prognosis is anything but good. However--I am so fearful that this is my new reality. I cannot function in my job. I have a relatively high-stress "thinky" job. I need to be quick on my feet and ready with a new idea on the spot.

My boss is currently being understanding, but when I told her my doctor put my recovery at the inside to be about 3 months, she about fell over. My injury was NOT work related. But I currently can either do an okay job at work or in my real life--not both. I have two young children (7 & 11), and a compulsive worker husband (60+ hours a week).

I am having trouble putting it all in perspective. I had a hard enough time trying to keep all the balls in the air before! How do I even keep half in the air now?

I'm in a position at work where my job can't go undone--if I'm out for an extended period, they will relocate me to another position and fill my current one. How do I learn to be okay with that? We need my income, so just chucking it is not an option. But I am daily reminded that I cannot do this right now. Any words of wisdom?
leebeemi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote