View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
I found the following comments from a brief paper on nerve gliding to be interesting:

"When attempting to glide a nerve, it is important to put one side on slack before pulling in the opposite direction (Fig. 1)."

"Simultaneous neck bending and scapular elevation is usually painful in patients with TOS. Painful exercises should be avoided initially because they may aggravate the patient’s symptoms, and they will be introduced as soon as feasible."

http://intraspec.ca/PIIS0749071203000908.pdf

They claim that if one side is not on slack you are stretching the nerve rather than gliding it.

What's your impression, mspennyloafer? Were you doing a stretch instead? Did you bend the neck and elevate the scapula at the same time?

Btw I'm not disagreeing with your advice. Even the book says on page xii to see a medical practitioner.
i actually had this same article saved to my computer awhile back

i absolutely believe i stretched my nerves instead of gliding them. are you saying (or am i just projecting what i think lol) that because my shoulder are chronically elevated i cannot effectively do a nerve glide..i.e. the slacking part?

i can barely look at these drawings bc it gives me anxiety LOL but i know this is why my hands are numb. my rheum thinks i have like small fibre neuropathy or some crap i think. i believe all the docs are wrong

my pt has done this thing called the UPPER LIMB NEURAL TENSION TEST on me 1000x and i've gotten better at it but she's never turned my head. i am going to ask her if eventually she's going to start turning my head, after i am stronger.