View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Vitamin C for Peripheral Neuropathy

Quote:
Researchers discovered that vitamin C is a key nutrient needed to keep retinal cells functioning properly, and they speculate these benefits extend throughout the nervous system. Specifically, special receptors (called GABA-type receptors) in the eye and brain stop working properly when vitamin C is not present. These receptors facilitate communication between brain cells by keeping neurons in the brain from getting overly excited, which may explain the depressive symptoms seen in people with gross vitamin C deficiency known as scurvy. (Journal of Neuroscience, June 2011)
Quote:
"We found that cells in the retina need to be 'bathed' in relatively high doses of vitamin C, inside and out, to function properly," said Henrique von Gersdorff, Ph.D., a senior scientist at OHSU's Vollum Institute and a co-author of the study. "Because the retina is part of the central nervous system, this suggests there's likely an important role for vitamin C throughout our brains, to a degree we had not realized before."

The brain has special receptors, called GABA-type receptors, that help modulate the rapid communication between cells in the brain. GABA receptors in the brain act as an inhibitory "brake" on excitatory neurons in the brain.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0715135353.htm

This has implications for peripheral neuropathy if I am not mistaken.

Given the low cost and apparent low risk of Vit-C, it seems worth some more investigation and research.

Incidentally, I noticed there are evidently many people searching online for info about Vitamin C and nerves (see Google suggestions), but there isn't much in the results - yet.

P.S. I read that GABA supplements don't pass the blood-brain barrier, so maybe Vit-C, the indirect route, is viable.

NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (01-31-2012)