Thread: one year
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have read articles, written by seemingly reputable sources, that try to state by this time or that time after the trauma we should be all better. But I think they're just trying to make things simple without knowing what's been damaged inside someone's head because without a microscope that can see inside someone's skull they really have no idea. And they really have no idea how long it will take either. And neither do we.

The accident I was in was about 18 months ago and I'm still making noticeable improvement. But I too, am awaiting the day I can come onto this forum and say - "Hey! I'm all better!" But I'm a lot better than I was just 6 weeks ago and much better than I was 6 months ago, etc..

I think the best thing for me is to continue to have hope that I'll get better and that hope takes me through every day to more healing. I think time is the best medicine for a brain injury.

I read an article about a woman who didn't even know to get cognitive therapy for years after the accident she was in and she made leaps and bounds worth of improvement well past the X time mark that is "typical". (She had a PHD in economics and couldn't balance her checkbook after the mild injury she sustained... http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/health/3937.html# )

We all just need to take this situation day by day, or hour by hour if need be and try not to focus on the "bad". (I'm writing this as a reminder for myself too!)

Just try to hang in there! A lot of us here have had a bad year or two (or more) recently too...
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (01-30-2012), SpaceCadet (01-30-2012), xanadu00 (01-30-2012)