View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh, your story sounds so much like my life about a year ago!!

I was a high school English teacher -- multitasking all the time and doing zillion things at work and at home. I also had mild depression pre-concussion that got much worse after.

I tried to go back to work after resting for a week. I set myself back and had to take off the entire second semester.

I went back to work part time in a one-to-one setting this fall but just recently my employer and I decided that even that was too much and so I have been medically terminated. It was very very hard to let my job (and health insurance) go. It was a major part of keeping our family afloat financially, so now we are in the midst of many adjustments, some of which include applying for food and energy assistance from the state.

I totally relate to not being able to do any "normal" relaxing things, too. I love to read and had a whole pile of books waiting for time to read. I got injured and had all the time in the world, but still couldn't read them. Also couldn't watch TV or crochet or play Scrabble or virtually anything I had been used to doing.

On my SuperBetter blog, you can find the list of things I eventually found that helped keep me occupied without hurting me: http://eowynridesagain.wordpress.com/game-basics/

(Incidentally, SuperBetter is in clinical trials now at http://www.superbetter.com if you want to give it a shot)

Even after I was injured, I kept trying to stay involved at work by sending in lesson plans, checking work email, etc. I was still trying to do my regular duties at home like taking care of finances. After a couple of months, it became apparent that this was NOT working. I basically had to ask my boss and my husband to think about how they would handle things if I were DEAD and do that. I could give very minor verbal assistance but not much more. This is what finally helped me truly start to get "brain rest" along with my physical rest.

Dietary supplements have helped quite a bit, too. I take:
- Algal DHA (900 mg)
- Acetyl-l-carnitine (500 mg)
- B-complex 100
- Vitamin D3 (2000 IU)

Mark may have some additional suggestions on this front.

Most importantly, at the stage you're at, I think is to take things one day (or even one moment at a time), listening to your body and asking everyone around you to help you do the very best you can to keep it happy. That will help your recovery happen as fast as possible.

Good luck. Stay in touch here. It has been an amazing source of support for me.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (01-31-2012)