View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You may want to try some different types of reading. I lost my ability to read fiction or articles with overly descriptive writing styles. Some of my men's magazines (Popular Mechanics and such) have changed the writing styles to try to appeal more to women. I could no longer read many of the articles.

Even Readers' Digest changed their editing styles. So, my reading has dropped off markedly.

If you can limit the amount of text visible at once, you may be more tolerant of reading. At the first sign of fatigue, stop and rest. Fatigue will manifest as needing to reread a sentence to understand it or just getting lost on the page.

At one point, I determined that on my bad days, I was limited to about 200 words before fatigue. Good days, i could read 800 word.

Now, I have developed reading skills that help me reduce the overload. I have ad blocking on my browser so I do not get bombarded with text wrapped around ads.

I have tinnitus too. It can get very loud. Mine is just above the key of C#6 on a piano. Once I used the ear plugs more, I got so I can ignore the tinnitus. I prefer the tinnitus to my wife's snoring and other auditory chaos.

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? Insomnia where one keeps waking up during the night can be a sign of sleep apnea. The intense dreams can indicate poor oxygenation of the brain. Ask your husband if he can observe you sleeping sometime.

Is your TV a Hi Def (HD) flat screen? The intensity of highly focused imagery can be difficult for a struggling brain. The softer focus of standard definition is easier for the visual processing. The HD TV sales people try to sell as large a screen as the normal eye can view. If I remember correctly, they suggest a 60 degree wide viewing angle which means that if you put your hands at the sides of your eyes, the screen will almost fill the view. That can be too much visual information for a struggling brain.

Surround sound adds to this overload of stimuli. I need to use head phones to listen to the TV because of the overload of ambient sounds and echos. And, we do not have high def or surround sound.

Just remember, you want to stop an activity before is causes fatigue/overload symptoms, otherwise, you are not giving your bran a chance to heal.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
leebeemi (01-31-2012)