View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My GF is gluten- and lactose-intolerant. We do a fair amount of experimenting with recipes.

It's easy to make pancake or waffle flour from rice flour, tapioca flour, etc, and MUCH cheaper than buying it. Here's a list of various possible combinations of flours, copied from http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/glutfree.html:

2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour.
2 cups white rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and a teaspoon of xanthan gum.
1/2 soya flour and 1/2 cornstarch.
1/2 soya flour and 1/2 potato flour.
1/2 soya flour and 1/2 rice flour.
1/2 soya flour, 1/4 potato flour, 1/4 rice flour.

Note that all these are substitutes for refined white flour! I would use brown rice flour instead, and maybe some buckwheat meal and/or whole-grain quinoa flour.

That said, I've never made a palatable gluten-free biscuit from a home-made flour mixture! They're all dry as gypsum board. But I'm not much of a cook, either.

There are some good gluten-free bread mixes for bread machines, and yes they ARE crumblier than wheat breads.

Fruit and sugar: yeah, some fruits contain more sugar in proportion to nutrients than vegetables. But they're not like candy bars or donuts, and IMHO they can absolutely be part of a healthy diet. I don't go with the theorists who think humans are fundamentally fructivores, though.
Don_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote