View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrog View Post
Where are the doctors who will tell them, "you are now at significant risk if you continue playing, and I highly recommend that you retire while you can still have a highly functional and productive life?"
This guy must have found one! Or maybe he came on here..... (by the way this guy was a very good player in Australia's most popular sport, so this is pretty high profile).

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...621-1gco0.html

Quote:
Adelaide utility Scott Stevens has retired from the AFL due to ongoing concussion problems.

The 29-year-old has not played since round three this season after being concussed in a training incident.

Scans failed to reveal a specific problem with Stevens, leaving Crows medicos puzzled by what they termed post-concussion syndrome.
Quote:
"Concussion is a brain injury, something to be taken very seriously, and it affects your whole quality of life and has ramifications beyond football," Stevens said in a statement.

"To play again, I would have to regain health and fitness and then be prepared that if I suffered another concussion the recovery time would be as long or longer.

"This is something I don't want to go through again."

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote