View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default VNS--denied; ECT--cognitive side effects; What next?

Hi--I've been in psychotherapy for several years, and I've been on over 20different medications and combinations--including SSRIs, lithium, trycylics, anti-anxiety. My pdoctor has been trying to get my insurance company to pre-authorize me for VNS therapy, but they will not even consider it unless I try electroshock therapy and fail it. Well, I just finished 12 ECT treatments...

The wonderful news is that I'm no longer depressed; life is better than it has been in years. I am mostly free of the hopelessness, misery, and despair of chronic depression.

The distrubing news is that the side effects are extremely disconcerting. I cannot remember recent events or recognize friends and coworkers. Plus ECT treatment only lasts short-term. My doctor wants me to start maintenance ETC soon so that I don't loose the short-term benefit of ETC and have to repeat the entire series again. I really don't want to do this and aggravate my current memory loss/amnesia. It is very unnerving to not recognize people I work with or how to do my job. Plus I would have to take another medical leave.

My company nurse is suggesting that I extend my short-term leave of absence, which I really don't want to do either. She said that it's also possible I may need to take a long-term leave if my memory and cognitive skills don't return.

What do you think the possibility is that my insurance company would pre-authorize me for VNS, even though I didn't fail ETC?

Thank you for letting me share.

Last edited by ann.odlaw; 03-31-2007 at 12:46 PM.
ann.odlaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote