View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow. So sorry you are going through this. Just wanted to say that your mom's behavior is not typical PD. We get more like an obsessive compulsive disorder and a hypomania kinda like the manic end of bi polar minus the really low mood swing. I think your idea that your mother has a drug induced schizophrenia is very sound. I do know that with longer term levodopa use that we, despite our dopamine deficit, can experience hallucinations followed by psychosis, so if your mom has had normal dopa levels all this time I cannot imagine what your family is going through.

If I were you, I would make appt for my mom at nearest research/university hospital; some place where she can be assessed by both a neurologist and psychiatrist plus have brain scans done all under one roof. They tend to take team approach and confer so you benefit from multiple insights into what is going on with her. Before you go into doctor create a timeline of the last 15 years including med dosages. Also, request copies of all her medical records.

Finally, if a doctor says your mom can stop levodopa at any time, then run for the door. It likely can be stopped but either in a hospital setting or very slowly over months or even one year with guidance of a doc.

Your ordeal highlights how we desperately need better diagnostic tools. We have someone in the forum misdiagnosed for 27 years. There are no longer any excuses as brain scans can serve as more solid proof of PD. I guess it wil come down to people filing lawsuits. I am normally against that sort of thing but I honestly think that is what it will take to see things change.

Hang in there!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RLSmi (02-02-2012)