Thread: Adopting a dog?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker
A dog, like a child, is a commitment.
Kids & dogs are so alike it's scary. Labrador Retrievers in particular have often been called “permanent two year olds.” I used to tell an old joke that Kids & Dogs are alike because: they're always on the wrong side of a door (which is true, BTW)

But there's more....
Quote:
  1. They never listen when they are called
  2. They need to be trained to do the same behaviour over and over again- potty training for both
  3. Most of the time you have to reward them for their good behaviour
  4. They LOVE playing with the toilet or water in general
  5. They are WAY too loud
  6. They are so cute when they are babies! (Not that they aren't when they are older it's that "puppy phase" that gets everyone)
  7. They love to play catch
  8. They have multiple personalities- they can be shy then go crazy in 2.5 seconds
  9. They are curious about EVERYTHING!
  10. They have energy for days!

and...
Quote:
Consider the similarities between dogs and children. They both have minds. They both can learn. They both want to please their parents or owners. They both experience (sometimes strong) emotions, which means they can feel confident or insecure, happy or sad, eager or listless. Inappropriate methods of relating to a child or dog by using, say, force and fear can result in insecurity, which in turn leads to compensating behavior. In older children, this can lead to depression, drugs, alcohol, or crime. In dogs, it can lead to uncontrolled aggression. Teaching, whether of dogs or children, requires positive motivation, not negative. The alpha dog notion is a myth.

I appreciate the "dog whisperer" comment, but I disagree with Mr. Millan's theories and methods. The producers focus only on the spectacular successes, and edit out the horrendous failures, giving a skewed impression of his abilities.

I'll leave off now with some additional thoughts on
:

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote