Thread: how do u live
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Rick92,

I can't see where you live, but maybe that's one reason your Dr.'s are so worried - because the population where you live isn't large enough for them to have seen this before statistically.

I'm sorry they said that to you, their worry isn't going to help you get any better. Do they know that?

I live in Los Angeles and my Primary Care Physician and Neurologist both have seen this before and I've been healing for 18 months now. Neither one of them are worried - I think they still think it's possible for me to make a return to near full or full health.

It's perfectly natural to get angry about having to deal with this.

But you don't know if your friends got the "same type of hit" as you. You don't know what happened microscopically inside their heads or yours. And you might not know whether you've hit your head before and been dazed and it shook off after a few minutes or a few hours and whether that is contributing to what you're going through now, because the effects of concussions are cumulative.

I'm pretty sure the facts say that about 10% of people get PCS that lasts more than three months. (Not 1%)

And experts really don't know enough to figure out why more than they already have. We just live in a time period where we don't have all the information yet. I imagine if we lived during the time of star trek, in the future, we would all get some kind of medical scan with a tricorder and we'd all be fine. But the information that people like us that are going through this are providing to the experts are hopefully going to make that possible someday.

As to why - you're going to have to figure that one out on your own. I'm a very spiritual person, so I have faith that everything is in divine order. If my boyfriend were experiencing the same thing, he's an atheist, so he's have a lot more trouble with it. But maybe someday in the future you will be able to help people in a way that you wouldn't have been able to without going through this - maybe you'll become inspired to be a charismatic representative for the Brain Injury Association of America and will help people understand what it is people with PCS go through. Who knows what the future holds!

Just try to remember that the calmer you are, the better you'll feel and most likely, the faster you'll heal.

Speaking to a therapist once a week has really helped me get through the anger I feel about what I'm going through. Maybe something like that could help you too. Or yoga, or meditation, or coloring, or drawing, or a short peaceful walk, or something.

Take care.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (02-03-2012), nightnurse30 (02-01-2012), rick92 (02-01-2012), SpaceCadet (02-04-2012)