View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Mrs. D or anyone -

If you have been taking D-Chiro Inositol for PCOS, I would like to hear more information about how it has or hasn't helped you.

My 15-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with PCOS. She has high testosterone, facial hair, acne, and as of today hasn't gotten her period in almost 3 months and is miserable with a lot of PMS. Her cholesterol and glucose looks great, although her A1C is borderline normal (5.5, and problems begin with 6.0). Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's run on my side of the family. My husband has hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. So obviously we are on the lookout for those types of things in our daughter. We've had her thyroid tested and so far she is negative for antibodies and her TSH and Free T3 are ok (although frankly I think her Free T3 could be higher).

I came across info in D-Chiro Inositol on the Web and thought it might be something my daughter could try. The GYN wants to put her on oral contraceptives. I think that would just be a band-aid and I want to get to the root of her problems instead. My daughter also suffers from an anxiety disorder that causes "De-Realization." So I would not want to give her anything that made her anxiety worse.

In doing research on the Web, I see that a lot of D-Chiro Inositol comes from legumes and soy. Well, my daughter is ALLERGIC to those things. She is also allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (as in: possible analphalytic reaction...she carries an Epi-Pen and wears a Medic Alert bracelet). So, if she is not eating ANY legumes and is avoiding soy, it would make sense that perhaps she is low in D-Chiro Inositol. She never eats buckwheat. I think maybe I've made it once (as kasha) and maybe she's had buckwheat noodles once or twice in her life. I don't think she is allergic to buckwheat.

I want to add that my daughter is NOT allergic to soy lecithin. The lecithin does not contain the protein that invokes the allergy. She eats various baked goods and things that contain soy lecithin all the time.

Anyway, I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this supplement. Success? Failure? Caveats?

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by zeeclass6; 02-01-2012 at 11:04 PM.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote