View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Mechanical Back Pain = Discogenic Pain??

So I went to a NS consult today for SCS permanent implant. He used a term I have heard but I guess I thought the definition was different.

Mechanical Pain. The NS said that Discogenic pain = mechanical pain.

I am scratching my head because mechanical pain to me seems more in line with Facet Joint Pain. If the disc is degenerating, torn, innervated, and upsetting nerves causing pain (which mine are at 3 levels) - HOW IS THAT MECHANICAL?

I also have documented radiculapathy at L4 and L5 from and EMG done last year. Is that also "mechanical pain"?

I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter since he is willing to do the SCS implant. Its just that the NS kind of dismissed this as just pain and NOT NERVES, so SCS can help, but no need to do real surgery. I will just need to strengthen my core and deal with the pain.

I guess I should be happy he doesn't want to do what another NS suggested - 3 level ALIF L3-4 through L5-S1.

I apologize in advance for not properly searching before posting. I will go do that now, but wanted to get your opinions on the matter. What do you guys think is "mechanical pain"?

Thanks,
Brent
bcyak is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (02-02-2012), Mark56 (02-01-2012), Rrae (02-02-2012)