View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Having a tough time

My SCS implant was Dec 28, 2011 so I am 5 weeks post implant of a Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator. I didn't have a trial, as the arthritis in my spine was too severe to insert the leads. Next week it will be 15 years that I've been living in pain - the past 5 or so meds were not sufficient to make for a decent life. I have generalized neuropathy in my legs, and a great deal of arthritis everywhere, along with sciatica in both hips. My SCS is not helping much. The first 10 days the stimulation was extremely irritating. I've had programming twice since, but just don't experience much pain relief. I do if I turn the stimulation up really high, but I get some really bad aching in my thighs especially if I even have the stimulation set on very low.

I am trying hard not to get discouraged. Each day I try things differently, doing one program very low, turning the stim off for awhile, turning it on high for 20 minutes - you name it. I don't know - I just don't feel much different, and my thighs can really get hurting!

I emailed the rep - I just saw him a week ago for programming and he said from here on out, it would just be tweaking the existing programs. Am I missing something? I so want this to help! Is it possible my brain can be experiencing less pain - for example: will the SCS help me lower my pain meds even if I don't feel the pain relief? I emailed the rep today with all my concerns - we'll see what his response is. Was there anything in you all's trials that would help me? I've gotten programmed three times all told now (first time was in the recovery room) and I choose from 4 programs and can vary in intensity. Is there something that I am missing? I don't understand my thighs aching like this - my legs used to ache some, but not like this. I don't know - but I'm not giving up yet!

Another question: my paddle leads are sewn in place with anchors - a part of the pin lower than the lead itself is stitched in place. My surgeon lifts all BLAST restrictions at six weeks. Is this too soon? I doubt the leads can move up or down, but it seems they could move left or right. I don't want to risk any movement of the leads. Should I go back to normal life at six weeks?

Thank you for any and all guidance you are willing to give!
ElizaJane23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (02-02-2012), Mark56 (02-02-2012), ron h (02-02-2012), Rrae (02-02-2012)