View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Yes, I would stop a few days before the test. Oral ingestion is less of a worry than an injection would be. But it still will inflate the numbers. Any good high number in his case however is good...because it shows the oral route is working for him. If after 3 months or so on the oral 5mg, there is little change because of loss of intestinal surface area, he will have to have injections. Stopping the B12 for 3 days or so is not going to harm him since there are stores in the liver for this situation.

There is one area of the small intestine that deals with intrinsic factor and if that is lost, the only method of absorption is passive thru the membranes. There is little on the net or PubMed about people with removed small intestine however.
I think since passive absorption IS possible and we know it works, from other studies, that he may do okay this way.

If he has taken the 5mg methyl form on an empty stomach and still tests low, then passive absorption is not working well enough for him. If he does move on to injections, make sure they are tailored to him, and not the once a month fits all dose.
Some people need once a week, or twice a month. Some doctors stop testing once injections are begun. I'd suggest to follow this up with testing, in case it is not offered to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeclass6 View Post
My husband had surgery on his intestines about 20 years ago. The part that apparently assists in absorbing B-12 was removed or partially removed.

Recently he discovered that his B-12 level was 299. His stupid doctor never tested him for B-12 previously...EVER. But that's another story. My husband is NOT a vegetarian (never has been) and eats a balanced diet and takes a multi-vitamin and D3 (although, no B-complex -- I'm trying to convince him to take a B-complex).

Ever since finding out that he was low in B-12, my husband has been taking Jarrow 5,000 mcg sublingual Methyl B-12 every morning. I need to know....when he gets a blood test to assess his B-12 level, should he stop taking the B-12 a week (or several days) before the test?

He is arguing with me that it wouldn't be necessary to stop taking his B-12. I keep telling him that taking the B-12 before the test will artificially inflate the test result.

Who is right....me or him?

Thank you!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote