View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default This is one of my pet peeves.

I realize I'm male and may have a different perspective on this--though I am balding, quite grey, and have never made any move to do anything about either condition.

As far as I'm concerned, even given all the pressures out there to "look good and/or young", I think "feeling good/being healthy" should trump "looking good/young". Every time. Even as regards weight loss, the real reason for keeping one's weight optimal is health, not appearance.

When issues of one's well-being are concerned, vanity should never be allowed to supercede. I even worry over those who dye their hair or paint their nails; perhaps less radical than implants, but still the application of uneeded and possibly harmful chemicals to the body. This goes for major classes of cosmetics, as well.

I think we'd all be better off worrying less about how we measure up to some impossible cultural/advertising standard--which also means "enforcing" it less in other people--and more time worrying about our nutrition, our exercise, and our personalities. (I also think that if our nutrition and exercise are optimal, we'll have a healthy enough glow to compensate for other "deficiencies".)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote