View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Annie -

I personally haven't had spinal fusion surgery yet but I have several aunts and cousins who have had their spines fused for scoliosis. The cousins had surgery while in high school (early to mid 80s). I believe my aunt said she found yoga and Pilates to be the best at helping her cope with the pain and problems. One-on-one instruction or a small group may be better at least at first so the instructor is aware of your situation and can help modify the positions to help you the best. My aunt also sees a naturopathic physician who offers suggestions regarding supplements that might be beneficial to someone dealing with chronic pain.

I have back problems, too, but not severe enough yet for surgery. For me, I find acupuncture and massage to be the most helpful. All I can suggest given my own experience and watching my aunts/cousins is you need to keep active as possible but listen to your own body. If something doesn't work for you, try something else. Maybe cut back on the extent of the activities but still keep active. I work out every day but can't do the activities I could do years ago before my neck/shoulders were injured in a car accident.

Good luck!
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote