View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
What was wrong with his orthotics? How were they wrong? Just curious, I got orthotics 2 months ago, and after the first week I asked why my left foot just felt WRONG. They said it would take a while to get used to. Two months later, I am not used to it. My left foot still has a huge lump under the arch. It never feels good. The right foot however feels fine. And my right foot has always been the worst one. I asked them if I could get rescanned, and the company is allowing me to get rescanned. When I was scanned, I couldn't even stand up straight, so I couldn't stand right, I don't know how they would have been able to scan it right. ?? I hope his new orthotics are a whole lot better!
This is exactly what happened with his orthotics (the ones that went wrong).

He had been fitted and when they arrived, he put them in his shoe and wore them. After a week, he had a fever and I said "why do you have a fever"? The white sock he wears had blood on it. I took off his sock and oh my god, his foot ulcer was all infected and I immediately took him to his podiatrist who treated him and put him on antibiotics. I said "he just got new orthotics". Well, the look on his face. The person who actually made the orthotics did NOT follow the instructions on the prescription. There was supposed to be a depression in the orthotic where Alan's foot ulcer would free float so it would heal. What actually happened was that the orthotics was built up in a place where it rubbed the ulcer, it got worse, it caused an infection and Alan needed antibiotics. Alan is not a diabetic so he heals perfectly fine. We contacted the Orthotic company and the rest is history.

But NOW, we are getting a completely new shoe. It's called a Darko wound healing oft loading shoe. We attended a neuropathy support group meeting last month and one of the members had these shoes on. I asked her to pass them around and they were very impressive. Look up Darko wound healing oft loading shoe (on google) and you'll see what I mean.

The shoe has Velcro closures, it's a rocker shoe, it has 4 insoles (so the doctor can pull out the place that needs to be adjusted for the ulcer). We showed the doctor yesterday ( brought a print out of the actual shoe) and he said "great, go for it".

So in price comparison, over the years, Alan's shoes would cost about $800 and the orthotics almost $400 (or some such nonsensical over-priced cost).

These Darko shoes cost $129.00 and I really think they will do a better job.

Will update when we get them.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote