Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNagain View Post
Debbie,

I have a cold thyroid nodule that was too small to biopsy long ago. So the question was to take out my thyroid and take replacement meds the rest of my life or to skip the surgery and take the meds (Synthroid) to suppress the thyroid.

I choose the no surgery option.

The endocrinologist was adamant that I always get Synthroid and not a generic. The PCP doesn't think it matters much.

I figure the endocrinologist knows much more about these things.

My best to you,
ANN

The Endo is right - no generic for Synthroid. It does make a difference. Synthroid does not suppress the throid. It adds the hormones that are low in hypothroid people.

The meds for Graves Disease (hyperthroid) is the one that surpresses the over abundance of hormones being produced by an overactive throid. The med that surpresses the throid is Tapazole. Again, used for people with an overactive throid.

By putting you on synthroid, you most likely are hypothroid (not producing enough hormones) that's probably why you have more energy when he gives you a higher dose. Higher dose; more hormones. But it is important to stay where the blood test show and the amount necessary. Getting overdose is sometimes done by people looking to loose weight because of the extra hormones causing more energy, etc. But not healthy to do this. Sounds like this is a possible reason for high and lows. The dose is not properly adjusted to your throid needs.

(Ger)

Last edited by ger715; 02-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-04-2012)