View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

Dear Bill -

Thank you for taking the time to write your most recent and considerably detailed post.

I have never had depression on the scale your wife has experienced. The closest I can come was my beloved and wonderful aunt by marriage, a classic late-Sixties earth-mother, who developed postpartum depression following the birth of her second child - frankly discussed her suicidal ideation with her husband - and was in extensive psychotherapy for a couple of years before rebounding to the point that she wanted another child. Tragically, the baby died in an accident a few weeks after her birth, one for which my aunt believed herself responsible, and unable to live with the contradictions, died a few days later. (Then too, there was my little sister's fiancé . . . ) So I appreciate the potential lethality of severe depression all too well. This has to have been an enormous burden on you, day-by-day over all the years.

I can address a few of the other points you make:
Quote:
. . . there were several things that provoked her animosity toward ECT; these included: 1) the personal debasement she felt, in part from her perception others thought she was crazy (not true); 2) the loss of control she felt, especially when the mask (anesthesia) was placed over her face, which brought on memories of a terrible teenage event; 3) the i.v. needle pricks, of which she has had hundreds, making her veins difficult to work with, so we sometimes had a PICC line placed to reduce this (I got real good at changing them myself); and 4) fear that family and friends would learn of the treatments. At this point, she becomes hysterical if I even mention ECT. These are all unfortunate, because the treatment was decidedly more patient-friendly than a number of other procedures she underwent.
To be candid, it sounds as though your wife has experienced other (“comorbid”) psychiatric issues along with the depression, for which I assume she has received psychotherapy (your reference to a traumatic event in adolescence) and medical treatments as well: hopefully something beyond benzodiazepines, to which most people develop a tolerance over time.

Then too, i.v.’s pose a special problem for people with RSD/CRPS. In 2004, I was being worked up in Philadelphia for a ketamine coma treatment in Germany that never happened, due to my preexisting glaucoma and the role that ketamine plays in elevating intraocular pressures. (Years later I learned the a mannitol drip would have resolved this issue completely: I have no way of knowing if that information was known to the German physicians in the study at the time, but I understood that a Dx of glaucoma was a per se exclusion criteria of their study.) In any event, before anyone had brought my glaucoma to the attention of the physicians in Germany, the protocol first required that I have and fail a 5-day continuous lidocaine infusion. Dr. Schwartzman correctly predicted that it would have no effect on me, but we had to put on the dog and pony show. Except that the nurses were unable to insert the 20 gauge 3-lead lines into any of my veins. Dr. Schwartzman saw this and matter-of-factly noted that my vasoconstriction was so advanced, a “central line” would have to be (surgically) inserted into my chest. Trust me, PICC lines – which were just then becoming widely available - are a vast improvement.

Today, before I have any procedure done that requires the infusion of a significant amount of a liquid, e.g., a dye of some sort, in too short period of time to allow for the use of a 22 gauge i.v., I first schedule a visit to the hospital’s PICC clinic and return when I’m done to have it removed. As of a few years ago, of over 4,000 patients who had participated in a coronary CT angiogram study at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, I was the only one who couldn’t tolerate a 20 gauge i.v. The lines went into me with enough effort, but as soon as I raised my arms behind me (the preferred position for the scanner) two separate i.v.’s - one in either arm for the sake of redundancy - immediately kinked in 90 degree angles. The joys of RSD/CRPS . . .

Finally, your wife’s fear of the stigma of ECT among her family and friends reflects on a remarkable lack of sophistication in Southern California, specifically when it comes to the treatment of psychiatric conditions, and more broadly – beyond the Westside of LA, West Hollywood, etc. – there is a tremendous ethos of conformity, notwithstanding whatever “laid-back” view the rest of the world may have of us. I feel for both of you. Thank you for being so forthright in your reply. This is clearly not easy stuff.

I can only hope the tDCS becomes an easier sell.

Mike

- Walt Whitman
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote