View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanabill View Post
Ballerina...what do you mean by reversing the electrodes? Reversing with respect to hemisphere (anodal stimulation of both motor cortices), or changing to cathodal stimulation (the black lead over the motor cortex and red lead on the forehead)?

My recollection is that anodal stimulation decreases pain, whereas cathodal stimulation increases it, at least over the motor cortex. I'm also recalling that temple-to-temple stimulation can help executive function; I believe the instruction manual for the Fisher-Wallace stimulator illustrates this electrode position.
Iguanabill,

I have just begun a protocol of reversing hemispheres.

For clarity for all here are details.

I began with anodal stimulation of the motor cortex and secondary somatosensory cortices (M1 and S2, the red over the auditory canal left side of head.) The cathode (black) is placed on the forehead above the right eye.

I just began the new protocol of reversing hemispheres. (Anode above the right ear and cathode above the left eye.)

I did this for two reasons. My CRPS journey began in my left limb and over a very short period of time began in my right arm, while at the same time vanishing from my left limb. I have retained a small area of sensitivity on my left shoulder which is only about the size of a nickel and occasionally a bit larger than a quarter. Given the fact that the entire brain is effected by CRPS, regardless of the side of the body effected by pain in addition to the concern that the small area of sensitivity could broaden its grip I am hoping this protocol will yield additional improvements for my and could prevent an encore appearance of CRPS in the left limb.

When I first received tDCS at Beth Israel it was suggested that I could return for additional treatments, which would include maintaining the same electrode placement but switching the electrodes. I have not tried that particular protocol.

I too recall that temple to temple stimulation can improve executive function but I have not yet tried that particular protocol.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mike may beat me to that protocol.
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
iguanabill (02-06-2012)