View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default HELP, need some input, Do I repeat DBS or wait on "the pump"

This thread kind of goes with the would you repeat DBS but I didnt want the content to be missed. I have "marginal" leads, they have helped but I still take the same amount of meds as before the surgery. The dyskinesia is better and I don't have a tremor which is mostly used to target the leads during surgery, hence the less than optimal placement from what I have been told. My question and I know this is a personal decision. Do I repeat the DBS hoping for a better target placement or do I wait til the Duodopa pump hopefully comes out in about a year? I am supposed to go up to Gainesville to be evaluated for repeat DBS. My biggest worry is coming out of surgery worse than I went in-incontinence, speech, etc. Duodopa has been on the FDA fast track since about 2002! It is supposed to be out of phase 3 clinical trials sometime later this year. It would be less invasive, and basically a sure shot at avoiding meds. I don't know honestly what are the negative side of the pump to compare the two. I am basically tired of the daily struggle of the ups and downs with the meds. I don't know when or if the pump will come out. There does not seem to be much chatter about it and you would think that there would be<????? Not to mention if you have a DBS will you be able to get the pump too? HELP, need some input.
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote