View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Cipro I am afraid to say, can cause neuropathy. It damages the nerves. If taken with and NSAID, or prednisone the effect is larger.

I have a thread about this with links you can read:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post661103-2.html
Click on the links, because there is quite a bit of information there.

I wish doctors would acknowledge the experiences of many patients who develop nerve problems following this drug and its cousins!

Dr. Cohen MD, seems to be the only one who is publicly concerned!

There are two things with the gall bladder. Sludgy thick bile hard to pass, which may turn into cholesterol stones with time.
The other is spasms of the bile duct...which is called the sphincter of Oddi. Drugs can affect this, the most common being codeine and morphine. But you know it is possible that a bacterial dysbiosis is affecting this area too. When people take antibiotics, good bacteria that live in the GI tract die off, and the bad ones remain and cause inflammation.

There is a food intervention that may help you alot. I had a terrible gall bladder attack in Sept, and a friend suggested Kefir to me. 3 days on Kefir stopped the attack which I believe was partly triggered by metformin. But now that I am so much better, I think I had a mild inflammatory infection there from years of antibiotic use for various infections over the past 40 yrs.
I've used Bentyl in the past, but in the last few years found that Levsinex (it is a twelve hour acting capsule) was better, and stronger. You may want to ask to try that. You may try putting a heating pad on your right side. I found that stopped alot of spasms for me too. Sometimes enough to not need any drug at all.

This is the Kefir I use:
http://www.lifeway.net/

I started with the unflavored, because of my sugar issues, but that is an acquired taste IMO. So now I mix 1/2 and 1/2 the peach with the unflavored. I was using 4 oz daily, and now I do 8oz 3 times a week, as a dessert after dinner. It is amazing how much better I feel all over!

The taurine really works. And it is inexpensive too. No side effects. It can help prevent stones in addition.
I see from another of your posts, that you have episodes of hypotension? Is this when standing up suddenly? This can happen from Bentyl or the Levinsex, but usually people get used to that.
The taurine also helps the heart and nervous system. Our bodies make our own taurine but that may fail I guess in some people. So the taurine may help other issues you have now as well. (but no promises on that one).

Some healthfood stores have taurine.
But also many online places (tend to cost less than stores).
This is the one I use...
http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formula...8452359&sr=8-1
I also give this to our cats, when I feed them human quality tuna or chicken that is not cat food. Cats cannot make their own taurine and it is added to all their commercial foods. I have one older cat, Oreo, who has a rare GI cancer (in remission now) and the Vet doesn't want her losing weight, so I give her extra protein foods and add the taurine to them. She eats it right up.
(she tends to vomit some canned soft foods, so she is getting rather spoiled around here! )

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote