Thread: Concussion
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

An important substance in meat is Broken Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) These are considered Essential Amino Acids. The brain needs them for repair. The brain also needs a very good supply of B-6, B-12 and Folic acid. Without adequate B-6, B-12 and folic acid, the blood brain barrier becomes weak. This allow the blood to transmit toxins to the brain cells. This not only slows healing but can be detrimental to normal brain health.

You can get BCAA and B-6, B-12 and folic acid supplements if you desire to avoid meats. But, there is a more complete source of the various micro-nutrients the brain needs in meats.

Omega 3 fatty acids are also important. They are found in cold water fish like salmon.

You can ask for a blood test to measure your B-12 and folate levels. B-12 should be about 1000 pgm/mL and folate should be greater than 20 ng/mL. It is very worthwhile to be tested because many people do not absorb B-12 properly for good brain health.

Also, a diet without animal fats can leave you deficient in nutrition for the brain.

It is just difficult to heal an injured brain on a vegetarian diet. Supplements become very important.

You will find that a good supplement regimen will improve your attitude/depression and such. Stress uses up the nutrients so fast that the brain is left deficient.

btw, For someone who likely speaks English as a second or third language, you did great on your first post. The line spacing is important for those of us with visual processing problems. I also struggle with following/understanding sentence formation so I did some simple editing of punctuation and capitalization to make it easier for my damaged brain to read.

Hope we can be of help to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote