View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Winic1. Welcome. To answer your question, yes, MG can come on after trauma or stress or surgery or anything else that might stress out the immune system. Doctors can't "prove" that in any specific case but there are studies that show that.

Don't give up on your doctors. You'll find that when doctors are out of their league, they can get defensive. And some don't like to think outside of their own little specialties.

With such bad breathing, can you get to a pulmonologist right away? If you have MG, breathing can get really bad. A pulmy can really help figure out the type of breathing problem you have and do specific tests like MIP (maximum inspiratory pressure) and MEP (maximum expiratory pressure) to see if you have breathing which is fatigable (like in MG).

I'm concerned about some of your descriptions of weakness. If you get so bad that you can't swallow, breathe in and/or out well or can't move, you need to go to the ER. And I mean dial 911. Don't drive. MG can get really bad quickly and there's no way to predict how quickly that will happen. It doesn't matter if you have a diagnosis or not. It's an emergency.

I know it's frustrating being sick and not knowing yet what's going on. It may be more than one thing too. You might want to check some other basics like thyroid, vitamin B12 and vitamin D.

Doctors aren't perfect. Try to cut them a break. You don't know me but given my past experiences with them, that's really saying something. If you can find a way to work the problem instead of beating up on each other, it will really help! But if you can't work things out with a doctor, it's quite reasonable to get a 2nd opinion or get another one.

I hope you get answer soon. Please don't overdo it, in case you do have MG. MG will push back and make you much worse!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote