View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Before You Consider Surgery...

As an 18 year old tennis player I have had TOS for 2 years, and as i was recruited for college tennis I knew I needed to take drastic steps for improvement. I scheduled surgery, and went through with it a month ago. I had every complication there was imaginable. From lymphatic duct leaks, to having a chest tube put in, it was a nightmare. I had a first rib resection, scalene muscles removed, and surgery on my pec minor. I was in the most competent hands but there are many risks with the surgery. I spent 9 days in the hospital, on constant pain medication, nothing ever seemed enough, and they were constantly increasing my dosages. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent more time on my physical therapy. While receiving treatment I continued to play tennis almost every day, or do some workout routine. Whatever you do, do every single exercise they tell you, and do it religiously. I looked at this surgery as a last option and a fix it all, but it is an extremely serious thing to go through. I know I got more than most people have with this surgery, but sitting in a hospital bed helpless for 9 days is something I would never wish upon anyone. Take it from me, someone whose been through it all, DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY AS BEST AS YOU CAN! I am approaching a month since the day of the surgery and I am still feeling the pain, and I cannot even start the recovery of physical therapy since I have not completely healed yet. I have many months of hard work before I can even think about picking up a tennis racket or even living normally again. If you have any questions please let me know, and I will gladly answer everything. As a side note I was left with an $85,000 hospital bill, without doctors fees ($30,000 just in medicine costs)
erogatz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote