View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Been to a pulmonologist. Immediately sent me for a sleep test to see if I had sleep apnea. Nope. But he did say they saw the slow shallow breathing thing. But he can't explain it, and had no interest in it. I did manage to do all the breathing tests, eventually. No kidding, I told you I CAN breathe, I just sometimes don't. did you see all the test runs, or only the best one? He said they only report the best one. He said something about, well, you could have apnea, but not sleep apnea, so, bye. So when I don't naturally breathe right, I consciously breathe right. When I'm short of breath, I sit back down and wait for it to catch up. It's been this way since the accident two years ago. I'm used to it. It's not scary anymore. If it ever feels different so that it is scary, then I will know it's time to call for help.

after repeated requests for them to send the pulmonologist reports to a couple of my other doctors, as I had put down on the initial paperwork when I went in, I had to fill out an official records requisition with the hospital and wait for them to be shipped out of storage, for some reason they got sent away right away without being entered into the electronic system or being sent to anyone. Have asked (through the email system) the neuro if she got them, she's not answering.

My physiatrist keeps saying she never got anything from anyone (other doctors, my pt) despite them saying they got the electronic signature back from her when they sent it. It's a black hole over at that one. Last visit, despite lots of serious problems, she had me stand on my orthotics to check them, even tho she did that just a couple visits before. And did the "what did the other doc say?" thing. And chewed me out for not putting on the gown and taking off all other clothing, even tho all she looked at were my feet and ankles. Okay, yah.....but she writes the PT orders, so I smile and nod.

My neurologist is providing me with sympathy, and that's all, so far. Since test did not show something that my body has EVERY symptom of, she was glad there was no evidence of it. Fine, so then what is it? Nope, just getting sympathy, oh, of course I'm having the symptoms. Must be so frustrating. I feel for you. That's it. So you can see why I have little faith in her. And I had thought she was better than that, could not believe it when that message came through. So I accomodate and try to be wary of triggering all of those problems, and sit down and wait for them to clear when they do happen.

My gp? Well, if I think I have strept throat or some other infection, I will go to him. Not for anything else, why bother. As soon as the easy thing is done (been having ear pain, think it's from the tos pulling on my neck muscles, but please check to make sure it's not an infection that I could actually do something about) he picks up his laptop and backs out the door while we're still talking. And, worst thing is, I only switched to him last summer after going in for a meet and greet and laying out all my complications, and asking him if he didn't think he could or wanted to deal with me, please let me know now and I would keep looking for a new doc. He said he would take me on. SOB!

And on and on and on. This is a very bad area to be hurt or sick in. Nobody talks to each other, they tell me to carry the messages between them, then they don't listen or they don't believe it, and tell me to carry a message back. Even the ophthalmologist, who called me about my call in to him about the eye thing, told me to get a pen because I needed the neuro to order two tests, and rattled them off at me (acetylcholinesterase blah blah blah, good thing I have a background in the hard sciences). I asked him to send her the message, and he sounded surprised, and said okay, and actually did. He's the only one who has, or would, around here.

I am going to give them a break. I'm not going near them unless absolutely necessary (like to get my PT renewed), and then I'll just smile and nod and pay my copay, and stay away for as long as I can. It's not like they do me any good, anyway. This is a very bad area to have anything wrong with you.

But I have read the descriptions of MG going bad, and know you gotta call for an ambulance if that happens. I don't drive more than the mile and a half to my daughter's school anymore, and not happily. What treatment I will get when I get to the hospital....well, keep your fingers crossed for me. Scarier than the thought of needing to go to that hospital is the thought of being there.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote