View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
You're all welcome. @SD38 what stretches do you (or your PT) like for your thoracic spine?
Well to be honest I'm only just starting with PT and my therapist has recommended that I do mainly neck/shoulderblade stretches to begin with.... due to post op tightness/sensitivity in that region. They are very simple at the moment and I am to do them daily until I see her again in 2 weeks time-by then I hope to have a full program in place to work on, it should include some strengthening exercises for my scapula regions because apparently I'm over working the front...traps, shoulders, etc and not fully engaging my upper/behind back?????
In all the stretches take as little as 5 mins to complete! But I have to be consistant with it.... every morning , I even give it a go before bed too!
The 1st stretch is simply to look face on and bend my neck to the sides-ear to shoulder, then next move twist and place chin to shoulder, holding each position for 5 secs a piece, repeat x3 on each side. Also arm raised above the head and then bent 45 degrees towards the opposite side and then to stretch out from the shoulderblade upwards only NOT to engage the lower spine/waist region, again x3 each side for a 5 sec hold per move. The last stretch is to place both hands palms facing forward against the wall ( as if doing a standing push up ) then to pull your shoulderblades forward ( Really stretch the scapula......at a comfortable rate- DON'T overstretch!) then lean into the wall and push out again, like a push up but placing more emphasis on the stretch of the scapula as you come back up from the dip.
HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE?
At the moment I'm abit tender from the moves but I know that I need to get it all moving. I think that little and often is needed to help the body from seizing up. I find that the less I move the worse I feel! As long as you move/exercise, whatever is achieveable ......as much as you can, is best.
You know the saying...... use it or lose it!!!!!!
I really do believe that....... It's strange but I honestly do feel worse when I stop being active/rest
Best wishes guys?gals xxxxxxx

Last edited by SD38; 02-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote