View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecyn View Post
Please do your home work and ask away questions with the surgeon before any cutting. Be wary of the promises and make sure every thing is written down. We are getting so many patients who had surgery and the surgeon is releasing them too soon and or telling them they are an unusal case and I cant help you. They arent recieving post surgical protocol or in worse shape with no where to turn to.

It's difficult to know what the surgeon's success rate is but make sure he is highly trained and has an abundance of success, has a post surgical protocol of physical therapy, swimming, medication regimne, etc.
I totally agree olecyn. THINK before they CUT!
I'm post 5 months op now and despite that my arterial/venous compression has been released I am pretty much regretting having had the first rib resection op done! At the moment I'm dealing with alot of skin sensitivity next to the incision of my scars, x2 which are 3 1/2 " above and below the collarbone ( not the prettiest of sights on a fairly youngish woman). Also muscle tenderness/weakness in the breast and underarm region. Unfortunately I am VTOS bilateral so a future op is eventually on the horizon.................. BUT only when absolutely necessary!
I have asked my surgeon to pospone the next op on the other side as the first was so intrusive.... it hit me pretty hard, physically and emotionally! Obviously I am concerned about the risk of thrombosis but I will deal with that if and when it becomes a serious life threatening issue. For the time being I am focusing on recovering from the previous op. Just be aware that such an op cuts through some major tissue.
Some patients are lucky some aren't. It's a game of chance.:Reality is despite having an op for A/VTOS I will still have ongoing issues in the thoracic region , as like so many of us I also have neurological issues too, which are often not solved with first rib excision op.
Despite my op I have ALSO discovered today after having additional EMG testing that I also suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome! Apparently according to the consultant it's only mild...... regardless of the fact that I often have distrupted sleep and can awaken on an average of x5 times per night......... every night with numb hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I'm a mild case than I truely pity those who have severe carpal tunnel.
Personally the best thing for me so far has been CBT and acupuncture...... coping with pain with the aid of the mind........ positive thinking. Oh and the occassional glass of red wine.........hic!!!!!
A BIG hug to ALL!!!!!!

Last edited by SD38; 02-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote