Thread: Hurtful words.
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nick,

First, you need to put your mother's comment in context. Since she is not home much, she only sees your symptoms when she is. Your talk with her and the others may have made her think you has gone downhill just because now she knows more of your complaints.

You should ask her what she observes in you that makes her think that.

Do you text with her during the day?

To all,

These comments from others are based on they total lack of understanding your condition. How do you expect them to understand your condition?

The only way they will is if you can find a way to explain it that they will understand. Everybody needs to find the explanation that works for their condition.

When I comment about my limits with driving, I have a simple explanation. I say, "I have very poor visual memory. If I am stopped at a stop sign and the crossing traffic does no to have to stop, first, i will look to the left to see where the oncoming cars are. Then, I will look to the right to see where those oncoming cars are. But, by then, I have already forgotten what I saw coming from the left. "

I have other such explanations but that is the one I use the most.

I also explain my inability to follow multi-step instructions from memory.

And how, I can be completely focused and functioning then have a sudden sound completely wipe my memory clear, as if my memory was a chalk board and the sound was an eraser.

We can find explanations that other will understand.

If any of you have symptoms you need help explaining, post them and I'll try to help you come up with an explanation.

Remember, we are the invisible wounded. If we were using crutches or a wheel chair, others would understand.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
katie71083 (02-08-2012), kayley (02-07-2012), SpaceCadet (02-07-2012)