View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi, Sessa

I agree with what the others have said. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, and I guess I've come to terms with it as much as anybody comes to terms with a chronic illness that seems to thrive on catching you off guard!

I haven't had any new symptoms for a long time. The same old ones will wax and wane, or disappear altogether for a while. Then, if I'm stressed, or ill, or for no reason at all, BAM!

Then I do what you do: freak myself out, get a little bummed, have a good cry, talk with somebody (in "real" life or on here) and then I'm good for a while.

I've had symptoms for probably 10-12 years. I still walk (though use a cane when out and about, and a rollator when I go for walks), I still drive, I still can thread a needle, and MOST of my symptoms wouldn't be noticed by someone who doesn't know me really well.

My dad had MS for nearly 40 years, can't remember exactly. When he died a few weeks before his 80th birthday (of emphysema), he was still getting up and down stairs under his own steam, still reading, still following the stock market, and again, only people who knew him really well even realized he had MS.

I realize that this stinkin' disease can turn on a dime, but I try to focus on the better outcomes while I (try to) prepare myself for the worst. It's tricky ground, but Sessa, you've come to a good place here at NeuroTalk. We're all in this together!!

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-07-2012), Kitty (02-07-2012), sessa1978 (02-17-2012)