Thread: My neurologist
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ziggo, your English is very good!

I know that others do not like the analogy between the brain and a muscle. However, I have found it to be a good one. There is good evidence that an 'enriched environment' (meaning more stimulation and less brain resting) and physical exercise are good for brain health and healing, in a similar way that exercising a muscle will make it stronger.

I have found this myself, and my biggest improvements have come this month, when I have been increasing my hours at work and going to the gym 3 times a week. So I think there is some truth in what your neurologist has said.

HOWEVER... if you exercise an injured muscle too soon you will only cause further injury. The evidence suggests that this is the case for the brain too. For, example, the 'Consensus statement on concussion in sport' at the 3rd International Conference on Concussion
in Sport in 2008 stated that:-

Quote:
During this period of recovery while symptomatic
following an injury, it is important to emphasize to the athlete that
physical AND cognitive rest is required. Activities that require
concentration and attention (e.g. scholastic work, videogames,
text messaging etc) may exacerbate symptoms and possibly delay
recovery.
and other studies have suggested that while exercise can be a good thing, that premature exercise following a brain injury can cause "significant decreases" in many proteins and other chemicals which are believed to be beneficial, and therefore "may compromise plasticity" (plasticity after a brain injury is your brain's ability to reorganise itself and regain abilities which it has lost).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06899304006638

In my personal experience, this need for cognitive and physical rest for a period after the injury is very true. I tried many times to increase my activity levels and it made things much worse. I would say that it was not until 8 months after my injury that increased activity had a beneficial effect - so for the first 8 months after my injury, rest was always better.

The stories I hear from others on this forum say the same thing - the exact amount of time will be different for everyone, but most of us have needed a long period of cognitive and physical rest before increasing activity is helpful.

You will know better than your neurologist whether your symptoms get better or worse when you do more activity, or whether you are still needing as much rest as you can get. I would urge you to listen to your own body more than a doctor who seems to me to not fully understand brain injuries.

Good luck.

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote