Thread: 100% Recovery?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Some people will appear or even claim to recover 100% in function. The truth to this claim is that the concussed brain will always show evidence of the concussion, especially during stressful times.

It is very possible to recover in function in such a way as to be able to resume all activities that were done previous to the concussion. The likelihood of a second concussion causing more serious symptoms with a longer period is greatly increased.

The tests like ImPACT and others do not test to a deep enough level to identify the persistent symptoms.

It is like a newer car that can do highway speeds easily and even pull a trailer at highway speeds with no problems. Later, after thousands of miles of wear and tear, the car can still easily do highways speeds but may struggle to due highway speeds pulling a trailer and will likely overheat trying to do so.

The concussed brain loses its tolerance for stress but can often perform at high levels when stress is low. This is why there is so much need to learn to control stress after a concussion.

One of my concussion symptoms effected my ability to be a pilot. I developed and intolerance for sustain time at altitudes in the 10,000 to 12,000 range. It manifest as very mild head aches but very serious cognitive difficulties when I needed to make quick decisions about entering congested airspace and landing patterns, etc.

What symptoms are you struggling with the most?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (02-28-2013), MsRriO (02-28-2013)