View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
I'm having my first stellate ganglion block Thursday as my RSD has spread from my legs to my left wrist now as well. I'm a little freaked. I've had 6 lumbar sympathetic blocks, but having one in the neck is a little more nerve wrecking. I will be given anesthesia, though, thankfully. My doctor was even ready to do the first one at my appointment today if I hadn't eaten breakfast- darn!

I've been going to PT for my legs for a very long time and now the past couple months for my wrist as well. But since the PT for my legs isn't as necessary anymore as I have an SCS which is helping with that pain, my doctor mentioned maybe seeing an OT. Has anyone ever seen an OT for RSD in the wrist area? It's my understanding that they work more on functionality and day-to-day tasks, which I am ok with. Sure a lot of stuff might hurt to do, but I can get it done, and my range of motion and strength are decent. Aggressive PT is what really worked for my legs. Would OT be just as aggressive in helping? I'm not sure really where to go at this point.
I personally have seen many many therapists for my hand to my shoulder. DO NOT LET THEM USE ICE!!! Not only does it hurt, it can cause more damage. Limited heat too. It has helped a bit. Chiropractic helped too. Water therapy was good too. Depending on your pain levels, YOU decide how much therapy to do. I suggest not pushing and pushing, go as far as you can handle without making yourself worse then stop. Then rest, repeat. At least, I think. That's what was done for me for years after my wrist was crushed anyhow, and I had to re-learn how to do everything all over again. If you have great pain management going, then maybe you can be a bit more aggressive in your therapy. Just be careful to not overdo it. The neck nerve blocks were good on me; I too had anesthesia and then aggressive therapy after. Just avoid a sympathectomy, there are side effects...
Kheldar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote