Thread: Mestinon
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyF View Post
I am going to see the Neurologist on Wednesday and I'm hoping to find out when I can have surgery to remove my Thymus Gland. Does anyone know what the recovery time is after surgery? I have two small children to take care of and have no idea how I'm going to make this all work!
Recovery time is individual - just like MG is and depends on what type of surgery you have

Being 21 days post full sternal thymectomy - my best advice for you - arrange as much as possible before hand - especially in the hands on HELP department- AND USE IT - swallow your pride, cover up the superwoman tattoo and have people around to take care of YOU, to take care of your children, to even help out your spouse! Call in all favors from friends and family if you have to- friends and family so often feel helpless and don't know what to do - TELL them and don't be embarassed or shy about it: I won't be allowed to lift the pots and pans for a few weeks: can you cook a meal for me/the family on these days; I'll be on pain medication / sleepy- could you watch the kids while hubby is at work; I won't be able to lift the laundry basket and take it downstairs; would you mind doing the laundry..... These are things you might not being doing for awhile depending on the type of surgery- things that someone else CAN help with.....: The less YOU have to stress about / worry about - the easier it is for you to heal.

Make sure your spouse sits down and HEARS what the surgeon says about recovery and UNDERSTANDS just how important it is for you to REST, have help and what you SHOULD NOT DO- Don't sugarcoat it for him / try to "protect him" or figure you will be "back to normal" in a few days -; if you have full sternal I can guarentee you it isn't comparable to anything else you have been thru - even a C-section - you will need time - that precious commodity we woman give so little of to ourselves - time to sleep, time to heal, time to just sit and stare at the same spot on the wall or movie on the tv and "zone" out and do absolutely nothing.

Talk to your work about FLMA, take advantage of any short term disability insurance - to take the stress off the financial department; be up front with your job and see what if any accommodations they can make; - be sure too to get a job description and discuss it with your surgeon - what you do at work as well as what type of surgical approach will affect just how long he/she will want you off to recover.

There are a thousand other little things that help = from stocking up on paperplates, instant/quick meals to making sure you have enough pillows to keep propped upright to sleep for the first few days home..... Just ask the folks around here - they''re a right smart bunch and alot have been there and are more than willing to help us newbies survive the hurdles MG throws at us...
Ravenred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote