View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Neicee99,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your concussion.

There is no literature that discusses using Concerta for cognitive issues caused by concussion. It is a stimulant and the common advice for recovery from concussion is to avoid stimulants. The concussed brain needs rest not an increase in effort.

I am concerned that once you stop the Concerta, your brain may need even more rest. Rest is the recommended treatment for the first month or two. By taking the Concerta, your brain is not getting any rest.

How long have you been on the Concerta?

Do you have insomnia, too?

What other treatments has your neuro suggested?

Have you read any of the many posts about using supplemental nutrition, vitamins, etc. to help the brain detoxify and recover?

Personally, I would be more concerned about any negative effects the Concerta may have. It is nice to reduce the concentration problems but your brain needs natural healing.

Plus, at your stage of concussion, the improvements you are seeing may be just spontaneous recovery so I would not necessarily attribute them to the Concerta. Nobody can say whether it is helping or not.

The noted Common Side Effects are:
Addiction
Nervousness including agitation, anxiety and irritability
Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
Decreased appetite
Headache
Stomach ache
Nausea
Dizziness
Heart palpitations

Add to this list the many less common but more serious side effects and it sound like Concerta can cause PCS like symptoms.

So, your neuro has me totally confused.

And I have likely confused you even more.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote