View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

People on metformin for a long time, need to take a supplement of B12. This drug affects B12 absorption, and depletes it in the body.

Here is my B12 thread with more information:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

and
Quote:
J Young Pharm. 2010 Oct;2(4):428-9.
Revisiting Metformin: Annual Vitamin B12 Supplementation may become Mandatory with Long-Term Metformin Use.
Mahajan R, Gupta K.
Source

Departments of Pharmacology, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Bathinda - 151 109, Punjab, India.
Abstract

Monitoring of adverse drug reactions of a drug is a continuous process and runs through-out the life of a drug. Many rare adverse effects of a drug are documented after years of use; when a single case (signal generation) is reported leading subsequently to reporting of more cases. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 (vit B(12)) is a known sequel of prolonged metformin therapy. It was recommended to have annual measurement of serum vit B(12) levels in patients on long term metformin therapy way back in 1970 itself. After more than 50 years of use of metformin, we have come to know that metformin induced vit B(12) deficiency can cause neuropathy; forcing to change the recommendation from annual screening of vit B(12) levels to annual supplementation of vit B(12).

PMID:
[PubMed]
PMCID: PMC3019388

Free PMC Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Hi I also have MG and type 2 Diabetes. It is a balancing act with meds etc.

I was also having problems with Metformin. My doctor told me to reduce my dosage to a level where It was not causing stomach Cramps. I was able to reduce from 3000mg daily to 2000mg but I had to increase my insulin.

Having MG gives you higher blood sugar readings (due to meds etc). There are some similarites between the 2 conditions. Because of the MG I cannot exercise a lot. A couple of hundred yards walk wipes me out for the day.

Keep your chin up.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-08-2012)