View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

KimmyF, I hope you will weigh all of the risks to you, and your baby, before taking a course of action. Many people here have had children while they had MG. The change in hormones in your body will effect your MG to some degree. There's no way to predict that. And that huge change in hormones after giving birth may require something like plasmapheresis. I say "may" because, as Abby pointed out, there's no way to predict who will get worse or not. Maybe you'll get better!

Whoa, wait a minute please, Abby! Steroids taken internally are NOT considered safe when taken during pregnancy. Topical maybe. Inhaled sort of. But any steroid that is swallowed, inhaled or placed on the skin can affect a fetus. It's not only the short term effects but the long term ones you have to take into consideration. I don't have time to gather up all of the studies, KimmyF, but you can easily do a PubMed search on your own. Perhaps Mrs. D. wants to weigh in on this.

IVIG may not be safe either. It all depends upon what complications a person has while having it, such as fluid and electrolyte imbalance, meningitis, allergic response, etc.

It might be a good idea to have your neuro consult with you about this and give any suggestions to your OB. Even talking to a pharmacist would help. It all depends upon the stability of your MG, if you have backup plans in place "just in case" and, heck, what YOU want to do!

I might be a bit more concerned about caring for three kids but Abby has 7 and others have more, so what do I know. I don't have any kids. But please go over all of the possibilities with your doctors so you can be confident in your decision.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote