View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse30 View Post
The repetitive word or phrase that gets stuck in your head or you keep saying is also known as Perseveration. Its not as rare as you think. I've had many many patients with this side effect from a brain injury.

From Wikipedia : Perseveration is the repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.[1] If an issue has been fully explored and discussed to a point of resolution, it is not uncommon for something to trigger the reinvestigation of the matter. This can happen at any time during a conversation. This is particularly true with those who have had traumatic brain injury.
Thank you for this information.

Quote:
In regards to your brain fog, that most certainly happened to me off and on for 6 months or so....and i noticed it finally ended when i got my anxiety under control and started doing Healing Touch and Acupuncture. It was usually triggered by overstimulation....which for me could have been anything from driving, music being too loud, too many people talking, lights being too bright, playing poker, being out of my normal environment.

I posted about it in the beginning when it was first a major concern of mine....but quickly realized that some symptoms and side effects you just have to accept, acknowledge them for the weird things that they are, and learn to work around them. I stopped doing the activities or actions that caused them to happen and saw a huge decrease in the amount of times that they happened.
I noticed the brain fog has kinda lessened a bit since I upped my dosage of Mirtazapine (anti-depressant)...my anxiety is too severe to deal with without a medication. I tried CBT, but I was overwhelmed after the first question the psychologist asked me. It's there all the time but like you said it gets worse with over-stimulation (everything you listed does it for me).

That healing touch thing sounds pretty promising...problem is, I don't have any physical symptoms or else I'd try it. I'm the rare case that doesn't get dizzy (hardly hardly ever) and no headaches. I'm not sure what it would do for these messed up, scary mind-states I'm put into.

Quote:
Consistency works wonders. Stick with an easy routine day to day that doesnt bring on your symptoms...you will figure out what works. But the anxiety will only make things worse off. When you start ruminating over every little symptom, that in itself will send you into a brain fog. Maybe take a few weeks off from this website too and see if the less you are talking and writing about it, the lesser your symptoms become. I also found this to help with my anxiety....to stop reading about everyone elses anxieties and focus on learning coping mechanisms and ways to handle my stress and anxiety. Sorry buddy.....i know this isnt easy.
I noticed that as well...picking up other people's anxieties from this forum. I actually started getting intrusive thoughts by reading someone's thread about them. I'm still haunted with them to this day ...I've got so many problems, I bet if someone read through all my complaints they, too, would pick up a ton of anxiety lol. I'm just saying...and ditto on the consistency thing. I'm trying that now...it's just hard with the living situation I'm in and how sensitive I am to everything.

Thank you so much for your response, suggestions and concern. Your awesome!!
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote