View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am new on this site and wanted to share some info with you. My hubby has celiac sprue which is gluten intolerance. He was tested years ago and diagnosed in 1978. They didn't have many tests back then but his folic acid was zero and he had lost weight, had low blood pressure, headaches, horrible abdominal cramping and loose stools. He lookes somewhat like a concentration camp survivor.

Anyway, he went on the gluten free diet which was a darn adventure for me, I will tell you.They didn't have all the gluten free foods out there back then so I had to cook from scratch, read labels and use my head. Our whole family pretty much just ate gluten free.

My hubby is now 73 and still eating gluten free and enjoying all the cakes and cookies that I bake from scratch plus all the breads that can be bought over the counter or on-line.

Now, for the rest of the story. Our youngest son didn't tell us of his symptons when he was in school and when he went to college and left home we found out that he was having some health problems. As the years went by he started to have stomach issues and also was losing weight. He went for testing and everything came back negative.

He started looking so bad that I told him it was time for him to bite the bullet and start the gluten free diet. So he started it a couple of weeks later. In one month he gained 10 pounds and was feeling so much better. Right now he is dealing with his 4 year old son who has been having symptoms. The doc told him because of the family history just skip or all the invasive testing and start the gluten free diet.

The moral of the story is that the diet is not as bad as you think and it might just make a huge difference in your life. Don't be afraid to give it a try. If it makes no difference at least you will know.
Good luck. 69gto73
69gto73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote