View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Topamax worked well...

I have been on topamax for a long, long time for migraine prevention and it worked very well for me. They increased my dosage to help with trigeminal neuralgia and RSD in my face. My migraines were reduced tremendously! But now, topamax is not as effective so the neurologist is trying elavil...so I am doing the reverse as you, tapering off of topamax while going up on elavil.

I will tell you, not everyone can tolerate topamax. I have so many sensitivities, but I did ok. My neuro told me that my hands would tingle at the beginning and when the dosage was increased, and all I needed to do was eat a kiwi a day and it would take care of it. It worked! The extra potassium gets rid of the tingles. The other side effects usually go away in time, unless they are too severe. Sometimes the dosage needs to start at 25mg instead of 50mg and gradually work up from there. Some people can't tolerate more. I was up to 175mg per day.

Your sleepy feeling may also be coming from taking both meds. My neuro told me if I got too sleepy, to stop the elavil and taper down the topamax more before adding the the elavil again. Your dr may need to adjust how you are tapering/adding these two.

Good luck!!
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Eowyn (02-09-2012)