View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsen View Post
Hi Moondaughter, hope this helps:
click on your "browse raw data" listed under the "account" heading next to your name at the right hand top of the page on your Home page on 23andme

The SNPs to put into the corresponding SNP area are: rs 1801133 and rs1801131. These are the MTHFR genes.One finds them listed as C677T (1081133)or A1298C(1801131) polymorphisms of the MTHFR gene, Methylfolate reductase.

Next input rs602662. This corresponds to B12 metabolism.

For MTHFR gene:
rs1801133 A is the risk allele
rs1801131, risk allele G
SNPedia:
Homozygous rs1801133(T;T) individuals have ~30% of the expected MTHFR enzyme activity, and rs1801133(C;T) heterozygotes have ~65% activity, compared to the most common genotype, rs1801133(C;C). This reduced activity (i.e. this SNP) has been linked at least once to each of the following disorders (though not necessarily reproducibly):

The lack of MTHR enzyme activity leads to higher homocysteine levels ( good explanation of high homocysteine and problems caused by: http://drbenkim.com/articles-homocysteine.html)

former posting about this issue:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ighlight=MTHFR

There are a few supplements which have the breakdown product l-methylfolate of folic acid which one can purchase over the internet. You may also obtain l-methylfolate by prescription from your doctor: l-methylfolate : Metanx, Cerefolin, Deplin. These can bypass the defective enzyme if you have the risk variant for rs1801133. If you have the rs1081131 variant, you will also need to obtain a supplement which contains the available source of folic acid, 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate. The only brand I know for this is: ActiFolate. It is made by Metagenics and is a blend of L-5 methyl tetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF), 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate (5-formyl THF), and folic acid. "This all-inclusive, bioavailable source of folate nutrition is perfect for patients who require general folate supplementation.*(I think MrsD also listed a few other sources; you could search thru the postings about folic acid for any of MrsD's posts)

(following from the web site for the supplement
Encourages methylation pathways at various points of folate metabolism, which may better support overall methylation than a single form of folate—especially in those with genetic variations in folate metabolism.*
Features L-5-MTHF, a body-ready, nature identical folate that will not mask B12 deficiency and is the only folate that crosses the blood-brain barrier.*
Encourages overall good health by promoting cardiovascular health, mental function, detoxification, maintenance of DNA, prenatal health, and breast health.*
Delivers the biologically active folates that are most commonly found in vegetables.*
Critical for people whose folate status may be affected by genetic variation.*

For the B12 gene:
https://www.23andme.com/you/journal/...irus/overview/
B12 gene:
rs602662
GG= lowest B12 blood levels
AG= low B12 blood levels
AA= normal

(please ignore the emoticon; my touch is too hard, I think, or as one poster queried, perhaps my fingers are too fat?)

Thankyou ever so much for this! I am humbled by your most comprehensive response - looks like my rs602662 is in the GG category-i've just started to analyze my profile and you have given me much needed instruction, thankyou! sharilyn

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote