View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

worried_mom,

Is your son's name, Jack, the bean pole? What a tall string bean he is. My dad was like that, 6'2" at 13 years old, with size 12 feet, too.

It sounds like your son had a anxiety episode. This could be by just getting a bit excited while shooting baskets. This increased his adrenaline that increased his BP and pulse. He may have also taken a jump shot or two and landed hard on his heals. This can send a shock wave up his spine to his head that is similar to a concussion.

The adrenaline system can function in hyper-drive while recovering from a concussion.

A way he can learn to not land on his heals is to wear foam ear plugs while shooting. He will hear the foot/heal impacts as they cause a 'thunk' in his head. Then, he can try to learn a better stride and landing from jump shots. This is a skill that will serve him well.

You may want to have him take a ballet lesson or two, with the ear plugs, to learn some softer foot plants. It is amazing how much energy is transmitted to the head from landing on one's heals.

My life changing head impact was from just that. I stepped off a curb thinking it was a ramp. I was holding a plastic bag of trash and did not see the curb. My foot landed with my back arched and knee locked and jarred my hip, pelvis, back, shoulder, and head. All from just an 8 inch curb.

Thinking about this gives me a head ache. I hope he is doing better.

My best to you two.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote