View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yep, that's me. Phooey. I got Graves' 16 years ago, after the birth of my daughter (totally worth it, though. What a sweetie she is). I was on propylthiouracil (PTU) on and off for about 8 years. Then I had a five-year remission where I wasn't taking anything. Then, three years ago, I had a big relapse. Went on the PTU that spring. Noticed my first symptoms of MG that fall, though in retrospect I had symptoms all summer that I put down to other things.

So, here I am. Maybe I should have had my thyroid killed with radio-active iodine way back in the beginning. But I was having babies and nursing babies, and didn't want to be radioactive. I was also worried that I would get stuck in a mildly hypo state that the doctors would refuse to treat with higher doses of synthroid--this happened to my mother. So I opted for the thyroid-suppressant drugs, which other than possibly giving me MG have been great. I'm not on anything now.

Well, water under the bridge. We make our decisions based on what we know at the time, which is all we can do. It was a sensible decision, and therefore not a "mistake," even if it was the wrong one.

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Yeah, Abby, I thought of you when I saw this. But so many MGers have thyroid issues. For those of you whose thyroid problem came first, were you treated with antithroid drugs like methimazole or propylthiouracil before you got MG?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20635587

Again, if they can figure out all of the drugs that can cause MG, like Gapapentin and Ketek, why can't they figure out how to STOP or CURE it?

Annie
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote