View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Okay, I obviously discovered this thread a little late in the game. I'd like to contribute my 2 cents.

Mindfulness practice goes way beyond sitting meditation. It is perhaps best described as paying attention with an attitude of openness, acceptance, and non-judgment. Here are some things in our life toward which we can apply such an attitude: thoughts, emotions, bodily sensations, circumstances, other people, ourselves, etc.

In mindfulness-based meditation, a common strategy is to begin by focusing on one's breath, and perhaps gradually scanning one's whole body, focusing on different parts of the body as you go through the process. As for thoughts and emotions, they will come up. The idea is not to resist them, suppress them, react to them, judge them, or get attached to them. Instead of "clearing the mind," one simply mindfully observes one's thoughts, emotions, and bodily sensations, without passing judgment on them or getting attached to them.

As I mentioned above, this strategy of mindfulness can be applied outside of sitting meditation sessions. Indeed, it can be applied in almost any context. Mindful walking, eating, and work (such as doing the dishes) are common examples of practices that can serve as an extension of a daily sitting meditation practice.

Pete
greenfrog (02-11-2012), nightnurse30 (02-12-2012), pcslife (02-11-2012), Theta Z (11-06-2012)