View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Post rib resection/decompression at 4 weeks

On Jan 13, I had surgery for right side TOS. I am 43 years old and teach Kindergarten, but the pain from TOS made it impossible to work so I took this school year off to try to get my symptoms under control. I was scared to death to have this procedure, especially after reading some of the posts on these forums. My symptoms started 5 years ago, but it wasn't until 18 months ago that I got the TOS diagnosis from a neurosurgeon. I went the conservative route for 16 months with symptoms getting worse and finally decided on surgery. I am lucky enough to live 25 miles away from 2 excellent neurosurgeons who each perform an average of 4 rib resections per month, so I was in experienced hands. My surgery was performed by Lynn Gaufin in Provo Utah. Before the surgery I was diagnosed with neurogenic TOS, however during the surgery the surgeon found that the subclavian artery and vein were also being impinged by the first rib, and that there was excessive scarring between the scalenus mediums and brachial plexus. The first rib was extremely wide and acted as a shelf with the artery running across it and then dropping off. As the Dr said, it was a real mess in there!The first week post surgery was rough, especially since I had 2 allergic reactions to 2 different painkillers. Last week I decided to just do 3200 mg ibuprofen and lots of heat and ice. Today was my 4 week post op appt. and I am doing pretty good. The Dr had me do exercises starting on day 3 and now I will start on a couple weeks of PT to help stretch the neck. I can already feel a positive difference and while I know I have a ways to go until I feel like myself I am so glad I did this!
"Thanks for this!" says:
chroma (02-11-2012)